Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Speechie Freebies Post: How do you assess cognition when you are in acute care?

I have received this question a lot lately and so I decided I would share with you my version of what I do as a quick assessment of cognitive linguistic skills in the acute care setting. I hope you all find it useful =)

As I go through these questions (which I have pretty much memorized by now) I always look for eye gaze, attention, thought organization, informal memory and just general conversational skills. I try to keep track of how many cues they use. For example, if I ask "about what time of day is it right now?" I would mark whether the person just knew or whether the person had to look at a clock.

SO here is what I use- I made it simple and straight out of my mouth the questions I use in acute care. My speech supervisors used these same questions and I credit them with the vast amount of knowledge they gave me years ago that set me up to be the therapist I am today- Thanks Shannon and Christina!!!!!


Click the picture above to get the google docs to download the quick assessment! 




2 comments:

  1. You should really use the MOCA screening protocol instead. (Montreal Cognitive Assessment) You can find this form online and in multiple languages. It gives a baseline score and is widely used by SLPs and Psychs alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up. That will be good to be handy in my clipboard. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete